Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

What's in a Name


Sara [sahr-uh] - noun, (1) derived from the word Triceratops (2) the name given to Cera the Triceratops in the movie The Land Before Time (see picture below).


Okay, so we all know this is not the true definition of Sara.  But according to Will it is.

Back when we told the boys I was pregnant, we talked about the baby and asked if they wanted a brother or a sister.  One night at dinner, I asked Will what he wanted to name the baby if it was a girl.  He stopped for a minute and then quickly said Sara.  At that point in time, Will was very into the movie The Land Before Time so I knew exactly where the name had come from.  Cera the Triceratops was his favorite and of course, why would he not want a little sister named after his favorite dinosaur?

Sara was never on our list of names so I didn't seriously entertain the name at first.  I would continue to throw names out to Will to see what he thought and his response was always "No, her name is Sara".  Hmmm....how were we going to get around this one?  He was pretty adament about this name and would even tell people his sister's name was Sara once we found out it was a girl.

As we got closer to my due date, we didn't really have any more prospective girl names that were doing it for us.  So after 9 months of the boys calling her Sara, the name just stuck.   Now that Sara is here, I love the name and am happy that Will was persistent.  :-)

So Sara, I hope you aren't mad at us for naming you after a dinosaur.  Instead, when someone asks you where your name came from, be proud and say "My name is Sara and my brother named me after a Triceratops." Also just think..if you were a boy, your name could have been Spike.  So you got the better of the two.  :-)

No comments: